top of page

The Essentials of a Commercial Learner's Permit Explained

A Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP) is a permit from your state of residence that allows you to practice your driving skills in a commercial vehicle. Obtaining a CLP is one of the first things you need to do before beginning training behind the wheel for the skills test.

Must be at least 18 years old. Must hold a non-commercial driver's license. To obtain a Class A or B commercial permit, you need a class driver's license without authorization status. Present proof of citizenship or lawful residency, birth certificate, valid passport, and right to work documents approved by homeland security credentials, including a green card.  Communicate efficiently in English.


CLP must be acquired before beginning at a Trucking School.

Need a Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP)?

If applying for a Commercial Drivers License, the first step would be to acquire a Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP) at your local DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles). 

To acquire the permit, a few tests are required at the DMV.

We do not provide any testing for knowledge tests or CLP's.

Knowledge tests to be taken:


  • General Knowledge 

  • Combination Vehicles 

  • Air Brakes Test (if applicable, most Class A vehicles are equipped with Air Brakes but not all)

bottom of page